Show HN: boringBar – a taskbar-style dock replacement for macOS
492 by a-ve | 281 comments on Hacker News.
Hi HN! I recently switched from a Fedora/GNOME laptop to a MacBook Air. My old setup served me well as a portable workstation, but I’ve started traveling more while working remotely and needed something with similar performance but better battery life. The main thing I missed was a simple taskbar that shows the windows in the current workspace instead of a Dock that mixes everything together. I built boringBar so I would not have to use the Dock. It shows only the windows in the current Space, lets you switch Spaces by scrolling on the bar, and adds a desktop switcher so you can jump directly to any Space. You can also hide the system Dock, pin apps, preview windows with thumbnails, and launch apps from a searchable menu (I keep Spotlight disabled because for some reason it uses a lot of system resources on my machine). I’ve been dogfooding it for a few months now, and it finally felt polished enough to share. It’s for people who like macOS but want window management to feel a bit more like GNOME, Windows, or a traditional taskbar. It’s also for people like me who wanted an easier transition to macOS, especially now that Windows feels increasingly user-hostile. I’d love feedback on the UX, bugs, and whether this solves the same Dock/Spaces pain for anyone else. P.S. It might also appeal to people who feel nostalgic for the GNOME 2 desktop of yore. I started my Linux journey with it, and boringBar brings back some of that feeling for me.
New best story on Hacker News: Mike Tomlin spent 12 years building a Minecraft city
Mike Tomlin spent 12 years building a Minecraft city 417 by CoryOndrejka | 102 comments on Hacker News. https://ift.tt/lyLoWYP https:/...
-
рддेрдЬрд╕्рд╡िрдиी рдкрддрд╕ंрд╕्рдеेрдЪ्рдпा рдШोрдЯाрд│ेрдмाрдЬ рдкрджाрдзिрдХाрд░ी, рд╕ंрдЪाрд▓рдХांрд╡рд░ рдЧुрди्рд╣े рджाрдЦрд▓ рд▓ेрдЦाрдкрд░ीрдХ्рд╖рдХ рдмрдирд╕ोрдб рдпांрдЪ्рдпा рддрдХ्рд░ाрд░ीрдиंрддрд░ рдкोрд▓िрд╕ांрдЪी рдХाрд░рд╡ाрдИ рд╡рд░ोрд░ा ...
-
рд╡рд░ोрд░ा рднाрдЬрдкा рдкрд░िрд╡ाрд░ाрдд рдирд╡े рд╕рджрд╕्рдп – рд╡िрдХाрд╕ рдкрд░рдЪाрдХे рдпांрдЪा рднाрдЬрдкा рдк्рд░рд╡ेрд╢ рд╡рд░ोрд░ा : рд╡рд░ोрд░ा-рднрдж्рд░ाрд╡рддी рд╡िрдзाрдирд╕рднा рдХ्рд╖ेрдд्рд░ाрдЪे рдЖрдорджाрд░ рдХрд░рдг рджाрджा рджेрд╡...
-
рдиिрдЦिрд▓ рдоांрдбрд╡рдХрд░ рдпांрдЪी рдпुрд╡ाрд╕ेрдиा рдЙрдкрдЬिрд▓्рд╣ा рдк्рд░рдоुрдЦ (рд╡рд░ोрд░ा, рдЪिрдоूрд░, рдм्рд░рдо्рд╣рдкुрд░ी) рдкрджाрд╡рд░ рдиिрдпुрдХ्рддी рд╡рд░ोрд░ा : рд╣िंрджुрд╣ृрджрдпрд╕рдо्рд░ाрдЯ рд╢िрд╡рд╕ेрдиाрдк्рд░рдоुрдЦ рдмाрд│...